Thermocouples are widely used in automotive industry for temperature testing at product design and EOL (End of Line) stages and for permanent monitoring afterwards. However, with the increasing voltage levels in Emobility thermocouples posses many risks in product design and testing stages. Some of them are safety related risk and have potential to be life threatening for employees (research and test engineers).
Researchers and testing experts in Emobility have seen the following major challenges with using Thermocouples for temperature testing in high voltage applications.
- Safety: Thermocouples are subject to creating a short circuit and electrocution risks to the employees.
- Noise: With the Emobility going towards 1000V and even higher 2500V (for commercial vehicles), thermocouples are highly susceptible to noise.
- Linearity: Though the thermocouples are calibrated for a certain range, they still need complex compensation algorithm to maintain linearity over the range
- Response Time: Thermocouples are not fast enough and accurate for thermal profiling of key components of Electric Vehicles such as Charging Points, Battery, Motor Windings and Power Electronics.
- Repeatability: Thermocouples are made of two dissimilar metallic wires and susceptive to material purity which varies from batch to batch and manufacturer to manufacturer.